Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Choice of Freedom


Three and Four Months Natural

Well, I’ve been busy these two months trying to decide what I wanted to do with my hair. After careful research and exploration, I’ve decided to get Sisterlocks http://www.sisterlocks.com/ it’s more than a hairstyle, it’s a lifestyle. Unfortunately, my hair is only about 2 inches now, and the consultant that I plan to go to wants at least 3-4 inches. So, it looks like I’ll have to wait patiently. In the meantime, it gives me the chance to save my money for the process, as it is not cheap. It runs anywhere from $425-550 and up, depending on your length.

The consultant I spoke with works in a shop called Your Best Image Salon and his name is Greg Day. He actually recommended that I stick with a TWA, but I want versatility and the look of relaxed hair without having to use chemicals. I also found a support group called Lock It Up to help me with my new journal http://www.egroups.com/group/lockitup I’ve learned tons of information about my pending “rebirth” and I just cannot wait. I would like to have it done before my husband returns home from Iraq, as I’m sure the price alone would send him through the roof!

I was told by another loctician that my hair has a medium to large curl pattern. I call it a “lazy” curl. I’m a little disappointed because I thought I would have the instant “S-shaped” curls like my 8-year old daughter. The beautician also told me that it may take up to one year being chemical-free before I’d see my true curl pattern. I guess it makes since because I’ve been relaxing for 15 years, so it could take some time to regroup.

The loctician confirmed that it’s very normal to hair several different hair types on your head (I thought I was going crazy). I have S-curls in the back, strays on the side, and cotton puffs in the front. I even have some strands of hair that are 3-4 inches long, while others are only 1 inch. I’m going to wait until January or February before giving Greg another call. In the meantime, I’ll be praying and asking that I have minimum breakage and lots of growth.
I’ve added a multivitamin to my list of vitamins. It’s a Women’s Ultra Multivitamin from GNC. That baby is huge (smile)!

My impatience and frustration is getting the best of me; I've decided to get my hair braided while I wait out the growth process. I have an appointment on 23 October 2004 to get individual braids. Perhaps this will help me to leave my hair alone.

No comments: