Saturday, June 11, 2011

Beginning A New Journey

Starting A New Journey
It's been close to year since I've last posted. Since that time I've done a lot of soul searching about life (i.e, my career, relationships, and hair). I've finally been accepted to the nursing program at a local community college and I will be leaving my employer after nearly 11 years. It's time for me to reinvent myself. I haven't been happy, not even content at my job in the past 4 years and I've discovered that instead of waiting for them to change, perhaps it was me who needed to change. So, with that said, this fall I will be walking away from the corporate world.
Additionally, for many of you who have followed my blog, this next piece of news may be earth shattering for some of you. I am ending my Sisterlock journey! Tomorrow, Sunday, June 12, 2011 I will start to the tedious task of taking down my sisterlocks! No, I have not lost my mind, but I have a new desire. I've toyed with ending my journey over this past year. I had hoped that when I cut my locks it would curb the burning desire, but it hasn't. You see, when I started my natural hair journey over 7 years ago, I had the intention of discovering and exploring my natural hair and learning how to take care of my own hair without the dependence on another or on relaxers. I achieved half of what I set out to do. I want to experience natural free, flowing, and loose hair. I've realized that for me, locking my hair, kept me in bondage and it kept me away from rediscovering my true, free flowing hair pattern. Don't get me wrong, I do love Sisterlocks and I've enjoyed this wonderful journey, but I am ready to take off the training wheels and fly!
I do realize that the task I'm taking on is tremendous and it may take me possibly months to accomplish, but nonetheless, I will accomplish it! It is my goal to have my locks freed by my birthday in October. I hope I will be able to take at least 5 locks out a day; at least 5 days a week. I hope to be able to document this new journey as I have done with this one. Stay tuned..

6 comments:

JUST Euphoria said...

well let me be the first to commend you on embarking upon your new journey! & I totally embrace you wanting to free yourself of your locks & I can't wait to see your journey

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your decision. I have just began my sisterloc journey (september 2010) so I cannot imagine taking them out. Please post pictures of the finished product you provide me with such hair-spiration. Good Luck.

z said...

Congrats on your new journey and i'm glad you're doing what is best for you. The good thing is that you have a "take-down plan" and as tedious as it will be, make sure to take breaks. ;-) Definitely post pictures along the way and let us know if you have created any cute styles during your transition.

deewolfie said...

After meeting you, I have to say that as gorgeous as your SL are, you have to do what's right for you. Freeing your hair is a physical, and emotional, transition to a new stage in your life (I hope you get what I'm saying). Good luck on your new journey (both hair and life changes). And congratulations on following your heart, and your instincts.

V @ Locks-N-Motion said...

Looking forward to your new journey and wishing you well along the way.

I recently cut off my Sisterlocks last year my hair was balding & thinning and I couldnt stand it. Anyhow this is the first time I'm getting to learn my natural hair and to be honest I have learned that I really miss my Sisterlocks, lol. I'm still learning what works for my hair and what doesn't, this is indeed another journey but I'll be patient until I can lock my hair again.

Also congrats on Nursing School, I'm a nurse as well and it is a very rewarding career. I wish you the best and dont forget to keep us posted.

KnottyAuthor said...

Oh, I understand and emphatically share that it's imperative to explore your loose natural hair for atleast 1-3 years before locking or you will never satisfy that yearning.Congrats on everything! Happy for you!